Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I'm a drug addict...


There I said it..but do I mean it? I think I do...I've been taking Effexor XR and I'm desperately trying to kick the habit...I mean I gotta get this monkey off my back! I originally started taking it for panic attacks..ever have one of those??? I wouldn't wish those on anyone..well maybe one or two people..you know who you are...lol! Anyway..back to me, I had/have panic attacks and but I really want to get off of the Effexor. But the side effects from this are AWFUL! Brain spasms..ever have one of those?? UGH!!! And just an over all feeling of BLAH!! The doctor said it would take a few weeks...I was taking 75mg daily and he gave me 37.5mg to take every other day and then try to go every 3 days, every 4 days and so on and so on until I'm completely off of this devil derived medication.

I've read about the OJ version of this. Where you dump the capsule into OJ and only drink 9/10ths of it for a few days, then 8/10ths for a few and so on and so on.

I would have never started taking this had I known how hard it is to get off of it. My youngest son knows I have this little addiction problem and he said "hey mom, deal with the panic attacks and get off the drugs." I just know I'm up for the mother of the year award!!!

3 comments:

Pamela said...

Any luck getting off the meds? I hope you were successful. If doctors really stressed the side effects of most drugs, we would never consider taking them.

Julie Watson said...

Hey Girl- Blog much??? Is this really the last time you've posted something on your blog??? You're alomst as bad as me- LOL

Love ya!
Julie

Monkey Giggles said...

What I am going to say is soooo much easier to type than do. Believe me when I say this, because I know. I have traveled the grieving road for many years. My sister was killed by a semi 10 years ago and then my brother by a train 3 years ago. So when I say, May you find peace in your sorrow. It is and can be very difficult . After my brother was killed I lived in a fog for 8 months. I don't remember a lot. Except I garden. I was so anger at time I would beat the earth till my hand hurt. In that pain/sorrow God meant me stayed with me and I was able to find peace. Praying for you!